Out-of-the-Box Passive Solar
- Passive solar design leverages mass storing capabilities and insulative qualities of SIREWALLS
- Thick SIREWALLS create an acoustical barrier from the busy road
- Kitchen cabinets are made from locally milled & kiln-dried broad leaf maple
- Rot proof, insect proof, fire resistant, earthquake safe, no dry rot
- Durable recycled rubber tire shingles for curving rooftop
- Integrated indoor/outdoor living spaces
- Ground level gutters create a visual crisp roof edge plus rainwater falls from 4-foot overhangs is captured for the landscape water system
- Southfacing soffits are tilted up at the angle of the winter solstice sun at noon, minimizing winter soffit shading
- Conserving energy, radiant floor heating is combined with over 100 tons of thermal mass from insulated (R33) rammed earth, R56 roof, and R20 floors
- Controlling humidity within a few percentage points is achieved through the humidity flywheel effect of rammed earth
- Second storey light tunnel supplies natural light to the north side of the home, balancing the light from the south
- Radiant tubing, run through an interior rammed earth wall, creates a “radiant wall”
Awards and Recognition
- 2002 CARE People’s Choice Award
- 2003 Georgie Award Best Environmental Consideration and Energy Efficiency
- 2003 Georgie Award Best Single Detached Home 2,000 – 2,999 sq.ft.
- 2003 CARE Award for Environmental Achievement
- 2003 CARE People’s Choice Award
- 2003 Silver CARE Award: Best Single Family Detached Custom Home 1,800 – 2,999 sq.ft.
Location: Salt Spring Island, British Columbia
Architect / Designer: SIREWALL Inc.
Builder: Terra Firma Builders