- Rammed earth columns on either side of headboard frame the master bed
- Use of interior rammed earth creates acoustical privacy between master bedroom, guest bdrm, and living space
- Many of the building’s 45° angles allow a seamless fit into its surrounding arbutus grove
- Power went out for four and a half days with no source of heat (very limited solar gain due to west orientation and cloudy weather)
- Outside temperature varied between 0° and -7°C (32°-19.4°F)
- Inside temperature only dropped from 20°-14.5°C (68°-58°F)
- With no heat for 4.5 days in freezing weather, all that was necessary to be comfortable was to put on a sweater!
Awards and Recognition
- 2005 Georgie Award Best Single Family Detached Home 2,000 – 2,999 sq.ft.
- 2005 Georgie Award Best Master Suite – New
- 2005 CARE Best Bathroom Award
- 2005 Silver CARE Award for Environmental Achievement
- 2005 Silver CARE Best Single Family Detached Custom Home 2,000 – 2,999 sq.ft.
- 2005 Silver CARE Best Kitchen (New or Renovated) 150 – 250 sq.ft.
- 2005 Silver CARE Best Residential Interior – Residential
Location: Salt Spring Island, British Columbia
Architect / Designer: SIREWALL Inc.
Builder: Terra Firma Builders