Off the Grid / Healthy Home
- Completely off the grid
- No plywood or drywall to effectively reduce toxicity
- Careful site selection mindful to reduce ambient microwave pollution
- Milk paints and natural oil used for interior finishes
- Grey-water system reduces water consumption
- Efficient gravity-fed septic, gravity pressured water system
- Modular formwork using only 2 sizes increased efficiency, reduced construction waste
- Combination of SIREWALLS and concrete tile roof reduced ambient microwave pollution to 50% inside
- Low EMF (electro magnetic field) wiring throughout the house
Awards and Recognition
- 2004 CARE Award for Environmental Achievement
- 2004 CARE Best Single Family Detached Custom Home Under 2,000 sq.ft.
Location: Salt Spring Island, British Columbia
Architect / Designer: SIREWALL Inc.
Builder: Terra Firma Builders