Lakeside Grand Piano
- Designed for a steep narrow site, the home’s sawtooth shape responded to the space available, optimizing south lake views and creating a (north) light-filled garden
- Glass backsplash in kitchen provides an easy to clean surface while keeping the beauty of the rammed earth
- Lakeside rammed earth wall gathers and stores afternoon heat, radiating to the seating area after sunset
- Locally-sourced earth and reusable forms reduce construction waste plus metal roof ensures no toxic run off
- Kitchen design puts the Chef at the center of the action: lake views, clear sight lines of garden, front entrance, studio, and living area
- Special attention to view corridors, glass block windows are used to create side lighting for the display area.
- Texturing the rammed earth with a 600-micron finish improves musical acoustics from the grand piano
- Conserving energy, radiant floor heating plus over 100 tons of thermal mass from insulated (R33) rammed earth keep the home comfortable
- Controlling humidity within a few percentage points is achieved through the humidity flywheel effect of the SIREWALLs
Awards and Recognition
- One Gold and five Silver CARE Awards Canadian Home Builders’ Association of British Columbia 2009 CARE Awards
Location: Salt Spring Island, British Columbia
Architect / Designer: SIREWALL Inc.
Builder: Terra Firma Builders