SIREWALL's team now has broad experience and scope of understanding as to what works for insulated rammed earth for various commercial and residential applications. Specific skills on the SIREWALL Team include four Architects, one Project Manager (PEng), two Technologists, two Master Earth Masons each with seventeen years of insulated rammed earth experience, nine highly trained SIREWALL Project Managers.
Insulated Rammed Earth History: Pioneered by SIREWALL
Rammed earth walls and buildings are ancient history. That’s right – thousands of years ago, builders in Asian, Middle Eastern and European civilizations were ramming earth into forms to create walls and buildings that have stood the test of time. Think the Great Wall of China, think castles and fortified homes, think temples and sacred spaces – carefully constructed and connected to their surroundings largely using Rammed Earth.
Somehow, our connection to the planet and mother earth was forgotten. Trees have been cut, natural resources drained, chemicals and toxins pumped into manufactured building materials to stabilize them. Buildings are one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions. Over time, buildings have burned to the ground, rotted and devoured by natural forces and slowly polluted the air we breathe and spaces we occupy.
Fast-forward to the early 1990’s when a visionary and environmental entrepreneur, Meror Krayenhoff, abandoned current building practices and took lessons from ancient civilizations to create SIREWALLS (Stabilized, Insulated, Rammed Earth walls). Leveraging over thirty years of experience as a green builder, he intended to create homes and buildings that nourish our bodies instead of polluting them, stand the test of time, create a classic legacy for future generations and ultimately – he sought to develop a new standard for healthy, efficient buildings you and the planet will be proud of.
With tens of thousands of square feet of high performance SIREWALLS built in the last eighteen years, Meror and the SIREWALL team have revolutionized a rammed earth system like no other. The SIREWALL Team has more experience leading insulated rammed earth crews than all other related builders combined. The following chronology outlines that this green building technology is ready for the mainstream through the SIREWALL System.
- 1992 Invention of structural insulated rammed earth by Meror Krayenhoff of SIREWALL
- 1993 First Code-approved insulated rammed earth project in the world
- 1994 First curved insulated rammed earth in the world
- 1995 First fully buried (underground house) insulated rammed earth in the world
- 1997 First two storey, curving insulated rammed earth in the world, creation of the SIREWALL System
- 2005 First commercial SIREWALL building in the world (Nk’Mip Desert Cultural Center)
- 2007 First commercial SIREWALL buildings in USA and CHINA
- 2008 World Intellectual Property Office approves the novelty, utility, and marketability of all 86 claims toward patent on the SIREWALL System